Friday 7 November 2014

Life at St Mary's


So as I was pretty busy before we went traveling I didn't manage to write a blog post before I went, so here is a brief over view of what was going on. 

Day to day life has been pretty much the same with hospital appointments and homework being our main focus. A slight break through with a few of the children who have been asking for my help for the first time. Which is really great! 

I haven't really said much about the food here. I was kind of thinking the food is pretty much what its like at home. However after waking up and being overjoyed by the fact we have weetabix for breakfast I've realised it's actually pretty different considering I'm not even a weetabix fan it was a nice change from the usual puto pap and jungle oats. Lunch is usually bread and peanut butter or as the kids are obsessed with the famous peanut butter and jam combo. For dinner usually some sort of stew with rice, pap or stamp. However we sometimes eat things like spag-bol or fish fingers and chips.
 

Myself and Linsey are now recognised by the hospital staff and also some patients. We are really getting to know the system at south rand hospital as we spend nearly every Tuesday mornings at the virology department. 

We had a brilliant weekend before we went off on our travels. A very kind old lady who was raised at St Mary's children's home many years ago comes to put on a function every term. She brings loads of food, clothes and toys for all the kids. She also arranged for a smooch (frozen yoghurt) van to come and everyone had free yoghurt topped with various sweets and sprinkles. It was such a great day and everyone was very full and had lots of new toys and clothes by the end of it. On the Sunday myself a Linsey took a group of the children out the back to swim. It was a really hot day so was lovely a refreshing. We played piggy in the middle and had a great laugh with the kids. 

When I arrived at St Mary's little baby Aaleyah could barely stand up. Now she is not only walking but running around the cottage. I quite often look after her when my house mother is busy and I love it. She is sooooo adorable. 

Myself and Linsey were invited to Andile's music performance in Johannesburg. There were schools participating from the whole area. It was such a lovely evening and was topped of by an amazing rendition of the circle of life performed by youth orchestra and 1000 school children...pure brilliance. I also took a group of the kids to a talent show at one of the schools. Brian was taking part and was absolutely incredible showing off his hip hop/break dancing skills! 

All in all was a good few weeks but we were definitely ready for our holiday by the time it came around. Sorry this is a pretty boring post, it's been a while so can't remember everything. About to write my blog from my travels so watch this space.

No comments:

Post a Comment